Tuesday 3 December 2013

The "anti-unsafe-pass wobble"


That's what I call it anyway. Not something I like to do every day.

Today, cycling with my daughter in front of me (in much the same situation as is shown in the image above), a car was approaching and pretty clearly moving to overtake, but way too closely even though there was an open lane to the left. In a situation like this, controlling the lane doesn't do the trick - he's hell-bent on leaving us a few inches. Sure, if he does it, I have room to move right, but I don't want him to make me do that, and my daughter may not have seen him.

So before he gets too close I do a quick 2ft jink left - just enough to make him think twice. I've found that if I do this, motorists either give me a lot more room or they slow down and stay behind me. Today, the latter is what happened.

Not sure if it's accepted procedure among the vehicular cycling cognoscenti, but I find it works and is safer than letting them pass too closely.

4 comments:

  1. All's fair in love, war, and bicycling, Ian. Glad you and your daughter are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen any reason to fuss at a cyclist for this move, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll spit on the pavement down to the left when someone seems intent on passing me in unsafe conditions.
    Drivers who seem to have no concerns risking getting my blood on their cars quake at the thought of some saliva ricocheting onto their fenders

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use stay back when its about passing on a blind curve. Otherwise, if lane control doesn't work, the alternatives are generally illegal.

    ReplyDelete