Saturday 11 May 2013

My Ideal Bike Lane

My ideal bike lane is one that's wide enough for the relatively wide turn radius of a bike, one that gives us plenty of room for safety and one that can easily be integrated into the existing traffic system.

So I propose a bike lane that's 11ft wide. It's even wide enough so that motorized vehicles can safely and fully merge into it for turning right (so that we avoid the problem of right hooks that today's bike lanes have) and buses and other motorized vehicles can merge into it and stop to pick up passengers. On roads that do not have multiple travel lanes in one direction (and even on those that do), I'd be happy to share the bike lane with slower moving motor vehicles, as long as they allow me to share their lanes on multiple lane roads when I need to turn left or overtake. Fair is fair.

The best thing about this novel bike lane proposal is that it will cost nothing - not a penny - to implement. We already have laws in place that support the use of these lanes as I've explained above. We also have millions of these lanes already in place, so  Heck, we don't even need any new government scheme implementing the change, because this type of bike lane exists on every road in the world: it's called 'the curbside general traffic lane'.

Yeah, this is the bike lane. Get over it!
So is this.
So is this, when we're turning left.

And hey, if bike lane advocates and government want to paint my proposed bike lane green or blue, or some other color (as they have a tendency to do), I'm okay with that, as long as the paint doesn't get slippery when wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment